The first chapel was contained in the Old Abbey Building. Work on the construction of a new structure, independent from other buildings began in 1901. Archbishop Moeller from Cincinnati held the first service in the new chapel on June 14, 1906 when he presided at the ordination of the 1906 class of 6 priests. The chapel was not used for daily Mass until August 8, 1906 when the Blessed Sacrament was moved from the Old Abbey chapel to the newly built Chapel of the Assumption. This was the beginning of daily Masses being offered for the priests, brothers and nuns living at St. Charles. Father Trost embellished the chapel interior with paintings which were in place for the next 50 years.
Chapel renovation began in 1959. The main
focus of attention is drawn to the altar and to the mosaic behind the altar
which centers on the figure of Christ shedding his Blood in establishing
God's new covenant with humankind. In its design carries out the theme referred to in the letter
to the Hebrews 12:22-24. "You have come to Mount Zion, to the city of the living
God, the heavenly Jerusalem, to the company of many thousands of angels, and to the Church
of the Firstborn, whose members are enrolled in the heavens, to God, the judge of all, to
the spirits of the just made perfect, and to Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant, which
speaks better than that of Abel."
Copyright ©1999-2012, St. Charles Missionaries of the Precious Blood, C.PP.S. All rights reserved.